
When a student with Asperger Syndrome misbehaves what supports and strategies should a teacher use to help them within the school setting? According to IDEA '97, Positive Behavioral Supports (PBS) is the recommended form of intervention for dealing with challenging behavior in children with disabilities. Research has shown that Positive Behavioral Supports can eliminate challenging behaviors and replace them with more socially acceptable behavior.
Which supports should be used? Since each child is different the supports they need can also be different. Finding what works best with the AS student requires knowing what their needs are and creating a balance between their academic content needs, social needs, and stress/anxiety level.
What supports work best with students with AS? Here is a comprehensive list of modifications for academic and for unstructured or less structured times of the school day that can be incorporated into the IEP and/or BIP. (Even though this is written for middle and high school students, it can also be used for younger students as well.)
Asperger Syndrome and Adolescence: Practical Solutions for School Success by Brenda Smith Myles and Diane Adreon, page 59 – 120.
Here is a limited preview of the book.
4 comments:
This blog and all it's resources will still be around in say, 8 years, right? Right?! :)
Julie-
Thanks for the kind words. I hope I will be around in say 8 years, but I don't know about this blog. My son graduates this year and will be going to college. YAY!
Wow, that is exciting! :) I know a lot of hard work is going into that.
Julie-
We (hubby and I) are not putting much work into his schooling. MONK is pretty well independent and drives! Yes, scary but true. LOL! He's come a looooooooong way and it has been a battle, but worth it. :)
Post a Comment