My Family Sticker

My Family Sticker


How To Access Pages, Links & Files

***All pages, links and files are accessible by clicking on the blue highlighted area throughout the blog.***




Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Why Can’t We Just Get Along?

It never ceases to amaze me how parents of children with ASD seem to bicker and fight amongst themselves. It is a persistent and endless tirade that is extremely annoying and just labels them as extremists and just plain nutty. Why can’t they get along? They fight over which diet to use, what therapy is best, how children acquire autism, how to teach children with ASD, the cure, etc. The list goes on and on. If there was a cure for autism I would have big boobs and Hugh Jackman would be in my guest room.







Instead of this never-ending fighting that is not productive in any way what so ever, why don’t the parents use all this energy for autism awareness? By working together they would accomplish so much more and our children would benefit.











7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I find myself having no idea how to spread awareness. It's so overwhelming and complicated that sometimes I just want to leave the whole thing alone.

Amazing_Grace said...

Julie-
And sometimes when you do, some irate ASD parent thinks you are doing something wrong and throws a fit which is very similar to my AS son's meltdowns from long ago. LOL!

Anonymous said...

=) I can't think of anything to say to that except it sure is hard when there are so many ways to think about and accept (or not) Autism. I used to think that I'd find one big community of support...but it's easier to isolate myself except for a few moms who think like me...or enough that we DO get along.

Chrissy said...

Well said!

Amazing_Grace said...

Julie-
I used to belong to our local support group and was quite active in it, but issues happened within the group and I stopped going. I too isolate myself with others who think like me.

danette said...

This is so true. In the months and years after our twins were dx'd I found a lot of helpful support online, but I also found a lot of unnecessary and counterproductive drama (IMO). I try to steer clear of that, pretty much like you and Julie said :).

Maybe what we need is a "Hugh Jackman autism awareness event" surely everyone could put differences aside and come together for that? ;) hehe

Autism is Not the Boss said...

Well said! Thank you for posting.