Monday, October 19, 2009
A.W.O.L.
I have been neglecting my blog for quite awhile. Needless to say, I have been wallowing in self pity and waiting on pins and needles for over 2 months. In August I had a bad mammogram. Clusters were found in my left breast and had to have a biopsy done (they removed a ping pong size amount of tissue). 2 weeks later the test results said I had focal ductal hyperplasia with cellular atypia. They also sent it off to Johns Hopkins for another opinion. We waited another 2 weeks and they concurred with our hospital lab results.
Atypical ductal hyperplasia is a benign lesion of the breast that can indicate an increased risk of breast cancer. They say I'm 4 to 5 times higher risk of getting it. My doctor wants me to see an Oncologist about hormonal therapy (Tamoxifen) for prevention of breast cancer (consult about hormonal therapy). I also have to see my surgeon after I get a mammo each year from now on.
We went to the Oncologist Monday. After weighing the pros and cons, Hubby and I decided NOT to take hormone therapy for right now. There is a prevalence with cataracts, uterine and endometriosis cancer, blood clots, strokes, etc. using the drug which runs in our family. I'll see how I do with yearly mammo check ups and such.
I'm looking into vitamin D3, concord grape juice, red wine, and Dr. Bob Arnot's book, "The Breast Cancer Prevention Diet".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wishing you good luck in this.
To put it a bit in perspective (but NOT meaning to put-down your distress and concerns), the woman in my family tend to have non-cancerous lumps.
My grandmother was operated on, her entire breast removed, only to find that it was benign. At least today we DO have good diagnostic tools.
At leasdt you know that you are at risk, and can check carefully every year. Good luck!
Hey you,
I got your email and I just want you to know that we will be keeping your health in our prayers. Thank God there was no cancer found at this point. I have heard of that diet and you know the whole "super foods" thing and I think it has merit. I don't blame you for skipping the hormone therapy.. the risks associated seem just far too great at this point.
I think of you often and miss chatting.
((HUGS))
Becki
So glad to hear that you are not facing an immediate threat. I believe very strongly in the power of nutritional intervention and wish you the best of luck as you go down that road.
It's good to *see* you again!
As if a parent of a special needs child needs any more to worry about. I am sorry that you're going through all of this and so happy that your hubs is there to support you. Having you in my thoughts.
((hugs)) it's good hear from but I'm sorry to hear you've had this going on :(. Wishing you the best and hoping that all goes well with the nutritional therapy.
Post a Comment